Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 27-30 Paris

Our last stop is finally here... I cannot believe it. We don't have the time to be sad about it because we still have so much to see. I have yet to encounter a city, country, or even people I did not enjoy but many said France would be the first to change that. The French may have a reputation of being unpleasant, but I can honestly now say I know different from first hand experience.

Day 1

Did I mention I am over trains? Thankfully this is one of my last trips... a trip to Normandy in two days is on the agenda. We got to the station with intentions of being on the 1:30PM train but Amsterdam had other plans. Apparently Amsterdam to Paris is an extremely popular route especially on the last day of the Tour De France, one ticket attendant explained I needed to make a reservation a month early. Well she was blowing smoke and instead of taking a direct to Paris we hopped on a regional to Brussels. From Brussels we had to hop on the Thalys train, which is a high speed train with the most ridiculous supplement ever... 41 Euros.

We finally made it to Paris at 8PM and to our hotel by 9PM. Another half day of sight seeing down the drain because of train issues. Luckily we have three full days and I have plenty left in the tank!

Skyline from our hotel room (nothing special except the colors)


Day 2

We hit the ground running on day two, and for the first time in a sweatshirt, a move I would regret quickly as the rain stopped right when we began climbing the Eiffel Tower. This day would be one of the most challenging on the body as we walked an insane amount and our bodies were really beginning to feel the pain of the last month. On Day 2 we knocked out the Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Sacra Coeur, and Notre Dame.

The Eiffel Tower is daunting, you obviously can't appreciate its size until you've seen it in person and climbed it by stairs! The Arc de Triomphe was also massive, the Paris Hotel in Vegas must scale everything down to 1/10th of the size. Notre Dame was beautiful but I have to say my favorite site in all of Paris was the Sacra Coeur. The Sacra Coeur otherwise known as "Basilica of the Sacred Heart" featured a climb twice as great as the "Spanish Steps", architecture that I'd expect to see in Turkey, and views that were unsurpassed. The inside was very plain but definitely still worth the visit.

Eiffel Tower


View of Sacra Coeur from the Eiffel Tower


Arc De Triomphe


Sacra Coeur


By the time James and I got back to the hotel, we weren't going anywhere. We loaded up the new Entourage and passed out soon after it ended.

Day 3

So today would turn out to be probably the most important day of my entire trip, and I ended up doing it all alone. This is the day I finally get to visit Normandy, Omaha Beach, and feel D-Day for real. As a kid I was fascinated with WWII especially the Allied Invasion.

I got up at 8AM and had to catch an early train as Normandy is a two and half hour ride from Paris. I made the train OK but I left my timetable in the hotel room so I'd have to figure out the return train another way. Once I arrived in Bayeux I had to figure out a way to get to the beach and I nearly made the mistake of paying 40 Euros for a tour and a ride that would have not given me the experience I wanted. So after an hour wait, some lunch, and a nice chat with a 70 year old french woman named Gemma, I hopped on the bus to Omaha.

Chills... and they wouldn't stop, the closer we got to the beach, the more intense they became. The countryside is just how you'd envision it, except I expected it to be less inhabited. Normandy is very beautiful. We went straight to the American Cemetery which looks straight over the landing sites, this also happens to be U.S. soil. Many people were here visiting specific grave sites, I can only imagine how much pride these people were filled with. Walking these grounds enables you to wholly appreciate the valor and sacrifice that so many men exemplified, acts that are incomparable to anything I have ever come across.



The Niland Brothers (Saving Private Ryan)



10,000 BRAVE souls rest here


American Memorial


Next I made my way down to Omaha Beach, it was a long walk from the top of the ridge so I can only imagine how tough it must have been for our troops to advance. Once I had reached the sands you couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. This is where tens of thousands died in the name of freedom, obviously no words can describe how much this should mean to us. I kicked my sandals off and dropped my bags as I made my way to the water, my trip was now complete. It probably sounds like I'm gushing, but I can honestly say I've dreamt about this in my life, this water that was once a blood soaked trap, is now crysal clear and seemingly never ending. I stood in the water for awhile and just let my mind run free, it would be impossible for me to adequately describe how special that feeling was. I walked the beaches for awhile and eventually parked it, I then began writing letters to my family, only one of which, my Mamma's, was I able to finish.

The Landing sites from Omaha to Sword


Looking out to Sea



Finally made it


Facing back toward the ridge





I made my way back towards the station for the 640PM train, which had me back in Paris at roughly 9PM. Obviously this was a long and meaningful day so I was content to let it end here. One more day until home!

Day 4

So the last day is finally here... and even still we have plenty to see. I can't help but be extremely sad, if someone wanted to bankroll me I could keep traveling for another month! James and I set out relatively early and began our day the Luxembourg Garden. The Garden is Paris' largest park and it is filled with lots of statues, monuments, fountains, and small ponds where people sail small model boats. The French Senate still resides in the Luxembourg Palace.

Luxembourg Palace


Fountain


From there we did a fly by of the Pantheon, which was massive, and for the sake of time we didn't go in. I regret this already, but I will be back to Paris. We then moved to the Rodin Museum where we saw a ton of really great sculptures including the two most famous "The Thinker"and "The Kiss".

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.


The Kiss


After the Rodin it was time to finally hit the the Louvre, one word of advice, don't save the Louvre for last if you have been traveling for a month. You need energy to make it through this beast. We only lasted about two and a half hours but again you could visit this place ten times and still not see everything. Many people had stressed that they didn't appreciate the Mona Lisa much but personally I was impressed, reading the history behind it helps beforehand. The Venus de Milo was very impressive as well. All in all I think the Louvre is too jam packed, my brain was on overload after we walked out!

Mona Lisa


Venus de Milo


To cap off the trip we headed back towards the Arc de Triomphe. James and I grabbed dinner just down the street as we wanted to make the climb to the top of the Arc once it was dark. This turned out to be a great idea as the views of Paris at night from here are one of a kind. Champs-Élysées was all lit up as well as all the main streets cutting out from the Arc. Most impressive however was the Eiffel Tower all lit up against the stormy night sky. James and I hung out at the top for awhile as I think we weren't ready to accept the fact our trip was over. This was definitely a great way to end it. My camera died while up there as well, but not before I got enough pictures =). The only pic I wasn't able to get was the flashing lights on the Eiffel Tower... you will all have to see it first hand one day!

Champs-Élysées


Eiffel Tower before it lit up


Wow... it is over. No more cities, sights, or drunken nights to blog about. I am back home now but part of me still feels like I am traveling, ready to hit the next city hard. Paris was absolutely beautiful, and I look forward to a return trip someday as there is still plenty left to be seen. Thank you all for following my blog, I did this not only for myself and my memories, but also so all of you could live vicariously through me or become inspired to take a trip and see what your heart desires! Love you all!

The Four Amigos back in the States

No comments:

Post a Comment